The two-way communication or conversation plays a pivotal role in the 360 degree performance appraisal process of an organization. Via the performance assessment conversation, the appraiser tries to get a fair and realistic idea about the performance of an employee for a prescribed timeframe. The evaluator who could be the immediate superior of the employee being assessed or the employer tries to review the difference between the concrete performance and the performance that was expected of him.
However, most employees simply have a morbid dread for the appraisal conversation, and view the entire procedure with anxiety and unease. This is so because the employee whose job performance is being analysed and evaluated more often than not doesn’t get a fair chance to put forth his side of the story. The appraiser, in most cases takes over the conversation and the employee hardly gets the opportunity to speak to the evaluator and speak up for himself. Therefore, it is very important that in a performance appraisal, the appraiser should ascertain that effective two-way dialogue takes place.
Importance of Appraisal Conversation
The objectives behind holding an appraisal conversation which forms an integral part of the performance assessment system are:-
- Go over the performance of an employer for a specified time period
- To reassess the disparity or lag between real and desired or expected performance
- To aid the top management in gaining a better grip over the organization
- To identify future training and apprenticeship needs of employees
- To furnish valuable information to the HRD manager so that he can take strategic decisions regarding an employee’s promotion or transfer
- To enable the employee under review, to have an improved perception about his job profile
- To address and alleviate employee complaints and grievances
- Fortify relationships between employees and management and strengthen communication between subordinates and superior
Methods and Techniques of Performance Appraisals
- Conventional Techniques (Straight Ranking Strategy, Essay Assessment Method, Critical Incident Techniques, Checklist Technique, Graphic Ratings Scale, and Forced Distribution)
- Contemporary Strategies (Human Resource Auditing, Behavioural Rating Scales, Assessment Centres, Management By Objectives, and 360 Degree Appraisal)