“Electronic performance monitoring” refers to the use of technology to monitor the employee’s performance.
Organisations across the world are incorporating the use of various advanced technologies for all functions at all levels. Many organisations have incorporated technologies in the Performance appraisal and management processes. The electronic and computerized systems are being used to monitor and evaluate the performance of the employees.
The concept of electronic performance management has been the latest trend in performance surveillance in the foreign countries where almost every job has the potentials of being monitored electronically. But with the increasing number of MNC’s, the trend is catching up fast in India.
With the organisations using the latest technologies and softwares, electronic performance monitoring supports comprehensive, qualitative, and subjective assessment of the individual’s performance.
The main reasons for practicing electronic performance monitoring are:
- It improves productivity and the quality of work
- Subjective work evaluation
- Compliance with the organisational policies and the local laws
- Helps in cost-control in the company
- Helps in the security of the company information
Despite all its advantages, the arguments given against the use of electronic performance monitoring is that such systems interfere in the privacy of the employees and some employees may take it against their dignity.
Using such system can have both positive and negative effects on the organisational health. It is argued that, to ensure the positive effects of electronic performance monitoring:
- The employees should be explained and communicated clearly about the system
- The employees suggestions should be taken in designing the system
- The employees should be involved in the implementation of the system
The organisation should not solely rely on the system for the data on employees’ performance. The system should be supported by effective two way communication and feedback. The monitoring should be restricted to the performance related activities only.