Organisations are growing in size, becoming complex and the importance of trained and developed workforce is also increasing. One of the major objectives and benefits of the performance appraisal is that it helps in identifying the training needs of the employee and reducing the gap between the actual and the desired performance of the employees. But Performance appraisal also facilitates the other decisions like:
- Compensation and rewards
- Performance Feedback
- Manpower planning
- Performance improvement
- Promotions and transfers
- HR Documentation
To meet the increasing competition and the challenging organizational goal, the human resource departments of the organisations throughout the world are moving away from the traditional and the theoretical training methods. The organisations are focusing on “Performance Consulting” i.e. the practical aspects of the employee training and what the employees should do to achieve the organizational goals.
Therefore, to improve the effectiveness and the performance, the conventional role of the trainers have changed to “performance or HR consultants”.
Performance consulting refers to the actual transfer of the new skills, competencies acquired through the training to the job, focusing on the employees’ performance needs i.e. the needs to improve the performance.
The responsibilities and roles of performance consultant are:
- To attain a balance between the needs of the organisation and the employees.
- Create synergy and teamwork.
- Identifying and solving the problems faced by the employees.
- Assessing and measuring the actual performance of the employees.
- Identifying and improving the internal and external factors affecting the performance of the employees.
- Motivate and support the employees.
- Review and feedback of the performance, facilitating performance improvement
From the above functions and the role of the performance consultants, they have become valued partners to the top level management of the organisations in successfully achieving the organizational goals.