The Tata Group was formed by Jamsetji Tata. It comprises of 96 companies and operates in six continents. It has around 2, 46,000 employees. It covers 7 business sectors – information systems and communications, engineering, energy, consumer products, materials, chemicals and services.
Decision making bodies of Tata Group:
- Group Executive Office (GEO) specifies and implements programmes in corporate governance, human resources, the environment, etc. The members of the group are Ratan Tata, R. Gopalakrishnan, Ishaat Hussain, Kishor Chaukar, Arun Gandhi and Alan Rosling.
- Group Corporate Centre (GCC) makes the future strategies for the Tata Group. The members of the group are Ratan Tata, R. Gopalakrishnan, Ishaat Hussain, Kishor Chaukar, Arun Gandhi, Alan Rosling, N. A. Soonawala, J. J. Irani and R. K. Krishna Kumar.
Tata Group Companies: Titan Industries, Tata Technologies, Tata Steel, Tata AIG General Insurance, Tata Chemicals, Tata Tea, Tata Power, Tata Motors, Indian Hotels Company, Tata Consultancy Services, Rallis India, Videsh Sanchar Nigam (VSNL), Voltas.
Brand Ambassadors of Tata Group:
- Narain Karthikeyan: Tata Group
- Sourav Ganguly and Irfan Pathan: Tata Indicom and Tata Steel
- Sania Mirza: Tata Tea
- Yuvraj Singh: Westside, the retail chain of lifestyle stores
- Naseeruddin Shah: Insurance products, Tata AIG
- Aamir Khan: Watches, Titan
- Karun Chandhok: Tata Group
Facts about Tata Group (2005-06):
Revenues: $21.9 billion (Rs. 967,229 million)
Market Capitalization: $54.6 billion
TCS is a part of the Tata Group. TCS provides IT services and it serves a number of industries, such as Banking, Financial services, Insurance, Telecom, Manufacturing, Media and Entertainment, Retail and Consumer goods, Transportation, Healthcare and Life Sciences, Energy & Utilities. It is listed on NSE and BSE, India.
Clients: 55 clients added in Q3 in 2006
Global Delivery Centers: 50
Employees: 74,000 [7,835 joined the company in Q3 in 2006]
Total Revenues: Rs. 4,873 crore ($ 1.1 billion)
Global Presence: More than 50 countries, more than 170 offices
Industries: Banking and Financial Services, Energy and Utilities, Government, Healthcare, Hi-Technology, Insurance, Manufacturing, Retail, Telecom, Travel and Hospitality.
Services: Consulting, IT Services, BPO, IT Infrastructure Services, Engineering & Industrial Services, Product Based Solutions.
- Chairman: R N Tata
- Independent Director: V Thyagarajan
- Managing Director and CEO: S Ramadorai
- Independent Director: Naresh Chandra
- Independent Director: Aman Mehta
- Independent Director: Ron Sommer
- Independent Director: Prof. Clayton M Christensen
- Independent Director: Laura M Cha
Facts: TCS was chosen by some of the leading companies for the following purposes:
- End-to-end SAP implementation services in North America and UK
- As systems integrator for deploying core ERP system to help achieve better control over internal processes and enhance productivity
- Providing global end-to-end infrastructure services, using the Global Network Delivery Model
- End-to-end outsourcing deal comprising of application and infrastructure services with committed revenues of $ 70 million
- Development and support for Australia’s leading airline at the cost of $90 million
|Particulars||Rs in million|
|Reported PAT (Profit after tax)||9505.2|
Net Profit: Rs 1,116 crore ($ 252 million)
Earnings Per Share: Rs 11.29 in Q3, 2006
Dividend: Rs. 3 per share announced in 2006
Tata Consultancy Services
4th & 5th Floor, PTI Building
4 Parliament Street, New Delhi 110 001
Phone: 91-11-6650 6555
Fax: 91-11-2331 1735 / 91-11-2331 8947
Recent Updated News of the Company
- R&D Spending by TCS in 2014-15 dipped marginally
Total Expenditure spend on research and development by TCS has been dipped marginally to Rs 909 crore in the fiscal year 2014-15. In the previous fiscal 2013-14, the company’s total spending on R&D was Rs 913 crore.
- Tata invested in Ola
Tata Sons Chairman, Ratan Tata has now invested in taxi servicing company Ola. The amount of investment has not been disclosed. This is one of the investment in series, which Ratan tata has made in last one year.
- Tata Group is planning to sell their fertilizer business
The Chairman of Tata Group, Cyrus Mistry reveals that company is planning to remove and sell out fertilizer business of Tata Chemical. This step is know to be first structural move after Cyrus Mistry becomes the chairman in 2012.
- New Hybrid online retail venture will be launched by Tata Group
Tata Group will launch first hybrid online retailing venture which will be combination of portal. The name of this group will be Tata Unistore Ltd. This will be piloted before Diwali shopping season.
In an interacting session with the students of Great Lakes Institute of Management at its 11th convocation, Tata Sons chairman Emeritus Ratan Tata revealed they have invested in around 10 companies mostly ecommerce including Snapdeal and Xiaomi in the past few months. Also, he recently invested in Coimbatore based startup firm, Ampere Vehicles. The amount of the investment is unknown.