Collective bargaining includes not only negotiations between the employers and unions but also includes the process of resolving labor-management conflicts. Thus, collective bargaining is, essentially, a recognized way of creating a system of industrial jurisprudence. It acts as a method of introducing civil rights in the industry, that is, the management should be conducted by rules rather than arbitrary decision making. It establishes rules which define and restrict the traditional authority exercised by the management.
Importance to employees
Collective bargaining develops a sense of self respect and responsibility among the employees.
Importance to employers
- It increases the strength of the workforce, thereby, increasing their bargaining capacity as a group.
- Collective bargaining increases the morale and productivity of employees.
- It restricts managementís freedom for arbitrary action against the employees. Moreover, unilateral actions by the employer are also discouraged.
- Effective collective bargaining machinery strengthens the trade unions movement.
- The workers feel motivated as they can approach the management on various matters and bargain for higher benefits.
- It helps in securing a prompt and fair settlement of grievances. It provides a flexible means for the adjustment of wages and employment conditions to economic and technological changes in the industry, as a result of which the chances for conflicts are reduced.
Importance to society
- It becomes easier for the management to resolve issues at the bargaining level rather than taking up complaints of individual workers.
- Collective bargaining tends to promote a sense of job security among employees and thereby tends to reduce the cost of labor turnover to management.
- Collective bargaining opens up the channel of communication between the workers and the management and increases worker participation in decision making.
- Collective bargaining plays a vital role in settling and preventing industrial disputes.
- Collective bargaining leads to industrial peace in the country
- It results in establishment of a harmonious industrial climate which supports which helps the pace of a nationís efforts towards economic and social development since the obstacles to such a development can be reduced considerably.
- The discrimination and exploitation of workers is constantly being checked.
- It provides a method or the regulation of the conditions of employment of those who are directly concerned about them.