The existence of a strong and recognized trade union is a pre-requisite to industrial peace. Decisions taken through the process of collective bargaining and negotiations between employer and unions are more influential. Trade unions play an important role and are helpful in effective communication between the workers and the management. They provide the advice and support to ensure that the differences of opinion do not turn into major conflicts. The central function of a trade union is to represent people at work. But they also have a wider role in protecting their interests. They also play an important educational role, organizing courses for their members on a wide range of matters. Seeking a healthy and safe working environment is also prominent feature of
Trade unions help in accelerated pace of economic development in many ways as follows:
- by helping in the recruitment and selection of workers.
- by inculcating discipline among the workforce
- by enabling settlement of industrial disputes in a rational manner
- by helping social adjustments. Workers have to adjust themselves to the new working conditions, the new rules and policies. Workers coming from different backgrounds may become disorganized, unsatisfied and frustrated. Unions help them in such adjustment.
Trade unions are a part of society and as such, have to take into consideration the national integration as well. Some important social responsibilities of trade unions include:
- promoting and maintaining national integration by reducing the number of industrial disputes
- incorporating a sense of corporate social responsibility in workers
- achieving industrial peace