The existence of a strong and recognized trade union is a prerequisite to industrial peace. Decisions taken through the process of collective bargaining and negotiations between employer and unions are more influential. Trade unions play an important role and are helpful in effective communication between the workers and the management. They provide the advice and support to ensure that the differences of opinion do not turn into major conflicts. The central function of a trade union is to represent people at work. But they also have a wider role in protecting their interests. They also play an important role in organizing courses for their members on a wide range of matters. Seeking a healthy and safe working environment is also prominent feature of the trade union.
Trade Unions are important to workers for the following reasons:
- 1. Trade Unions are workers’ tool for collective bargaining. Industries with trade unions always have higher wage structures. Trade Unions negotiate with employers for better terms and conditions of employment and for healthy workplace standards.
2. Trade Unions strengthen workers’ demand for better labour and industrial legislation. The ability of unions to represent workers and their families stand as an asset, for which political parties try to woo them by offering better deals in terms of pro labour legislation. Better medical facilities, welfare schemes, annual leave, insurance and other benefits are the results.
3. Trade unions can ensure more job security for its members than non unionized, unorganized workers.
4. Unions provide legal support to workers when they face police action and legal tangles.
5. Factories with union activity are safer when it comes to chance for industrial accidents. Unions pressurize employers to ensure better safety standards and use their influence with law enforcement agencies to assure better safety measures at workplace.
6. Trade unions protect workers against physical and mental torture and exploitation of superiors at workplace.
7. Workers’ individual rights and liberties are better protected by trade unions. It protects women employees against sexual harassment.
8. Trade Unions in advanced countries often provide educational support and training for skill up-gradation.
9. Trade unions can negotiate with management for mutual give and take in matters of increased productivity. When there is higher demand of production trade unions can negotiate better remuneration, so that both workers and managements benefited.
10. Since trade unions protect their interests, workers can remain motivated and their economic, social, political well being are taken care of.
|Trade Union – Related Discussion|
|Objectives of Trade Unions|
|Reason for joining Trade Unions|
|Importance of Trade Unions|
|Trade Union -Membership Facts|
|Code of Ethics for Trade Unions|
Trade unions help in accelerated pace of economic development in many ways as follows:
- by helping in the recruitment and selection of workers
- by inculcating discipline among the workforce
- by enabling settlement of industrial disputes in a rational manner
- by helping social adjustments. Workers have to adjust themselves to the new working conditions, the new rules and policies. Workers coming from different backgrounds may become disorganized, unsatisfied and frustrated. Unions help them in such adjustment.
- Trade unions are a part of society and as such, have to take into consideration the national integration as well.
Some important social responsibilities of trade unions include:
- promoting and maintaining national integration by reducing the number of industrial disputes
- incorporating a sense of corporate social responsibility in workers
- achieving industrial peace