Like the other parts of India, government jobs are highly sought after jobs in Tamil Nadu. Every year thousands of graduates strive to enter the public service domain in various categories. Government jobs are considered highly respectable and also rewarding.
These are available to students from different educational backgrounds. Government jobs are available in the sectors of administration, banking, law enforcement, judiciary, engineering, medical, education, information technology etc. However, it has never been easy to get through the public service departments since most of the recruitment are based on regional and all-India examinations.
There are both state government and central government jobs available in Tamil Nadu but students specifically targeting Tamil Nadu state government jobs may concentrate on examinations conducted by the State Public Service Commission.
| Latest Government Jobs in Tamil Nadu
Role of TNPSC
The Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) is the responsible body for conducting state wide examinations to fill in jobs in various state departments. It further organizes requirements for subordinates and ministerial services. It is also mandated to recruit on behalf of the Ministry of Defence, Government of India, for admission in the Rashtriya Indian Military College in Dehra Dun. Some of the tests conducted by the department are as follows:
- General Foreman and Technical Assistant
- Labour Officer in T.N. Labour Service
- Health Officer/Rehabilitation Teacher
- Asst. Commissioner in TN.HR&CE included in Grp-I-B Services
- Asst. Editor/Dairy Assistant/Mass Interviewer?
- Special Recruitment (Group-IV Services) for Differently Abled Persons
- Asst. Public Prosecutor, Gr.II in the T.N. General Service
- Posts included in C.S.S.E-I Services
- Posts included in Group-I Services
- Special Assistant in the D.V.A.C
- Statistical Asst. in T.N.P.H.S.S & Block Health Statistician in T.N.M.S
Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission Latest Notifications:
Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission Exam Result:
Hostel Superintendent-cum-Physical Training Officer in the Training Wing of the Department of Employment Training
- Village Administrative Officer
- Combined Engineering Service Examination
- Veterinary Assistant Surgeon in T.N.G.S
- Assistant Director & Child Development Project Officer in T.N.G.S
- Curator, Asst. Curator & Gallery Guide
- Section Officer (Translation) Tamil Cell in Law Dept.
- College Librarian in Govt. Colleges
- School Assistant & Tamil Pandit
- Scientific Assistant Gr.II in T.N. Forensic Sci.Dept.
- Assistant Surgeon (Dental) in T.N. Med. Service
- Asst. Geologist, Junior Chemist, Asst. Tester & Instructor - Ceramic Technology
- Speech & Hearing Specialist and Microbiologist
The TNPSC group I and group II examinations include departments like:
- Deputy Collector
- Deputy Superintendent of Police
- Deputy Registrar of Co-operative Societies
- Assistant Director of Rural Development Department
Teachers Recruitment Board (TRB)
The state board is responsible for recruiting in different state educational departments. Some of the posts offered are listed below:
- Assistant Educational Elementary Officer
- Lecturers (Senior Scale) and Pre-Law in Government Law Colleges
- Secondary Grade Teachers
- Computer Instructors
- Graduate Assistant
- Junior Lecturers
- Noon Meal Organisers/Anganwadi Workers
- Librarian and Information Officers/Assistants
- Block Resource Teacher Educators
- Special Teachers
- Post Graduate Assistants
- Assistant Elementary Educational Officers
- Assistant Professor for Tamil Nadu Collegiate Educational Service
- Lecturers in DTERT/DIET
Candidates aspiring to become lecturers in various colleges are required to qualify in the state conducted eligibility test (SLET).
Apart from the above mentioned departments, government jobs in Tamil Nadu are also available with offices of Tamil Nadu Newsprint & Paper Limited, Department of Employment and Training, Tamil Nadu Police Recruitment Board, Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation, Health & Family Welfare Department, Staff Selection Commission etc.
Bagging a government job in Tamil Nadu is a matter of tremendous respect as it is touted as the second largest industrialized state in the country. The rich socio- political, cultural and economical background of the state has triggered the growth of both traditional and modern industries here. Tamil Nadu, home to some of the most skilled manpower in India, is recognized as one of the states generating the maximum number of government jobs..
Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission or TNPSC is in charge of the recruitment at the various government departments of the state. Recruitment at autonomous bodies, semi government organizations, public sector undertakings is governed by respective departmental rules and policies..
Scope of Government Jobs in Tamil Nadu
As an aspirant of government jobs in the state you have the opportunity to choose from a number of departments where you can render your services. Some of them are listed below:
- Health and Family Welfare
- Housing and Urban Development
- Tribal Welfare
- Tourism and Culture
- Higher education
- School Education
- Police Department
Salary of Government Jobs in Tamil Nadu
Now that you have a fair idea of where you can haunt for jobs in the government departments of the state letís find out what kind of salaries they have in the offing from some of the recent job posts:
Junior Technical Assistant at Central Warehousing Corporation with proposed pay scale of INR 10500-26400
Vocational (Technician) apprentices at Central Electrochemical Research Institute with INR 4000 per month
Field Assistants at Anna University with salaries of INR 8000
Assistant Medical Officers at Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission with a pay scale of INR 15600-39100 and Grade Pay of INR 5400 in pay band 3
Civil Deputy Manager at Tidel Park Limited, Coimbatore with a pay of INR 38000 per month
Project Fellow at Bharathidasan University (Tiruchirappalli) with salaries of INR 14,000 per month for first 2 years and INR 16,000 per month for the third year
Electrical Deputy Manager (BE/BTech with 10 years experience) at Tamil Nadu Trade Promotion Organization, Chennai with salaries of INR 36100 per month
Project Assistant at Central Electrochemical Research Institute (Karaikudi) with pay scale of INR 6000 per month
Civil Deputy Manager (BE/BTech with 10 years experience) at Tamil Nadu Trade Promotion Organization, Chennai with salaries of INR 36100 per month
*Please remember that all the vacancies listed here are recent no doubt, but some of them have expired as well. Yet, they have been included in the list with a view to provide you with at least an idea of how much you can rake in from different government organizations in the state.
Salaries of Government jobs in Tamil Nadu- Some Highlights
According to a report in The Hindu on 6th October 2012, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had declared a 7% raise in dearness allowance for about 18 lakh state government employees.
The revised percentage of DA stood around 72% of pay and grade pay. Local body employees, teaching and non teaching staff of the government aided institutions, librarians in government aided diploma institutions and polytechnics are some of the individuals who would be eligible for this hike.
Last Updated: 12/10/13