Assistant professor/Lecturer pay scale in India after the 7th pay commission Rs. 46800 – Rs. 117300 Plus Grade pay Rs. 19800 = Entry Pay Rs. 76590
The various grades of pays are INR 6,000, INR 7,000, INR 8,000, INR 9,000, INR 10,000 and INR 12,000 for teachers of assistant professor/ lecturer level, (the difference is subject to years of experience).
Some of the health and other benefits offered are –
- 5 non-compoundable advance increments
- Medical benefits (36%)
- Dental benefits (5%)
- Vision benefits (2%)
Quick Facts Assistant Professor
- The percentage of males for assistant professor/ lecturer posts in India is 68.
- The percentage of females for assistant professor/ lecturer posts in India is 32.
- The average salary range for female assistant professor/ lecturers in India – INR 2.40 Lakhs to INR 4.50 Lakhs
- The average salary range for male assistant professor/ lecturers in India – INR 2.5 Lakhs to INR 5 Lakhs.
- Percentage of assistant professor/ lecturers in India with less than 1 year experience – 8
- Percentage of assistant professor/ lecturers in India with 1 to 4 years of experience – 47
- Percentage of assistant professor/ lecturers in India with 5 to 9 years of experience – 27
- Percentage of assistant professor/ lecturers in India with 10 to 19 years of experience – 16
- Percentage of assistant professor/ lecturers in India with more than 20 years of experience – 2
Top Institutes in India as per Salary Range
Some of the top private institutes in India, paying highest salary range to assistant professor/ lecturers are as follows:
- Anna University
Assistant Professor Salary by Educational Sectors
|Educational Sector||Average Salary (per year)|
|General Education (post secondary institutes)||INR 1.75 Lakhs to INR 6 Lakhs|
|General Education (University)||INR 1.75 Lakhs to INR 6 Lakhs|
|Technical Colleges||INR 1.78 Lakhs to INR 6.19 Lakhs|
|Mechanical Engineering Institutes||INR 1.85 Lakhs to INR 6.5 Lakhs|
|Biotechnology Institutes/ Research & Development Institutes||INR 2 Lakhs to INR 6.24 Lakhs|
Assistant Professor Salary as Per Various Degrees
|Degree||Average Salary (per year)|
|Master’s Degree||INR .85 Lakhs to INR 16.14 Lakhs|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA – Finance)||INR 1 Lakh to INR 4 Lakhs|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA – Others)||INR 1.30 Lakhs to INR 6.5 Lakhs|
|Doctorate Degree (PhD)||INR 4 Lakhs to 9 Lakhs|
Pay Scale and Required Qualifications of Top Private Institutes for Assistant Professor/ Lecturers in India
|Name of Institute||Qualifications Required||Pay Scale||Perquisites Offered|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||1st class PhD or equivalent with 3 years of research/teaching/industrial experience||INR 12,000 – 18,300 + allowances (as per Central Government regulations)||1.Initial grant up to INR 1,00,000|
|2.Full funding to attend
2 national conferences in a year
|3.For attending international conference, or for presenting paper
financial assistance up to INR 1,00,000 in a year.
|4.Contingent grant of INR 4,000 in a year.|
|5.Reimbursement of 75% membership fee
(for one international professional society).
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)||INR 15,600 – 39,100||NPA (applicable for medical candidates), subject to minimum scale of INR 30,000
with academic grade salary of INR 8,000.
|Institutes having 4-tier faculty structure||1st class Ph.D. with very good academic and research publication record plus a minimum of 2 years-post PhD research/teaching/industrial experience||INR 15,600-39,100||AGP of INR 8,000|
|Minimum basic of INR 30,000 (including advance increments)|
|Additional AGP of INR 8,000|
|Institutes with 3-tier faculty structure||M.Tech in Engineering and PhD in Social Science, Science, and Humanities||INR 15,600 -39,100||AGP of INR 7,000|
|3 advance increments to M.Tech|
|6 advance increments to PhD|
|Indian Institute of Management (IIM)||PhD degree with a minimum of research/teaching/industrial experience. A fresh PhD is also considered on contractual basis.||INR 15,600 – 39,100||AGP of INR 8,000|
Growth Opportunity for Assistant Professor/ Lecturers
Under the UGC (University Grants Commission) rules and regulations, an assistant professor/ lecturer with a PhD degree will be promoted to the post of Associate Professor after completion of twelve years of service, of which 4 years at the AGP of INR 6,000, 5 years at the AGP of INR 7,000, and 3 years at the AGP of INR 8,000. Candidates working as assistant professor/ lecturers with an M.Phil degree or a postgraduate degree in a professional course will be moved to the post of Associate Professor after completion of 13 years of service. Candidates with neither M.Phil nor PhD degree will be qualified to become Associate Professor after completion of 14 years of service.
Academic Certifications required for an Assistant professor/ Lecturer
The basic certifications needed for the post of assistant professor/ lecturers in UGC recognized institutes are as follows:
- Overall good academic records, with a minimum of 55% in master’s level.
- However, some leading institutes prefer candidates with a PhD degree.
- Candidates need to qualify in NET (National Eligibility Test) or an accredited SET/SLET (State Level Eligibility Test).