India is now one of the fastest rising markets for financial services and products in the world. So, a career in banking industry can result in a lucrative and rewarding employment.

Salary Structure of a Bank Clerk (After 10th BPS)

Component Now (Per Month) Revised (Per Month)
Basic Pay 8000 12812(60.15% of DA merged in basic)
Fuel Expenses 225 225
HRA 800(10% of DA) 9121(15% of DA)
DA 8000(100% of Basic pay) 5124(40% of Basic as remaining 60% merged in basic salary)
Total Rs – 17225 Rs – 21990
PF 1722 2199
Tax 20 20
Union fee 40 60
Benefits funds 250 250
Total Salary in hand Rs – 15193 Rs – 19415

Know about SBI Clerk Salary
Know about SBI PO Salary

Statistics for Bank Clerk Employment:

  • The percentage of females for bank clerk jobs in India is 33.
  • The percentage of males for bank clerk jobs in India is 67.
  • The average salary range for male bank clerk employees in India – INR 87,900 to INR 1,45,211
  • Percentage of bank clerks in India with less than 1 year experience – 54
  • Percentage of bank clerks in India with 1 to 4 years of experience – 23
  • Percentage of bank clerks in India with 5 to 9 years of experience – 6
  • Percentage of bank clerks in India with 10 to 19 years of experience – 9
  • Percentage of bank clerks in India with more than 20 years of experience – 9

Top Banks as per Highest Salary Range in India

  • State Bank of India (SBI)
  • HDFC Bank
  • ICICI Bank
  • Punjab National Bank (PNB)
  • AXIS Bank
  • Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corp (HSBC)
  • Kotak Mahindra Bank
  • Sundaram Bank
  • Oriental Bank of Commerce

Highest Salaries for Bank Clerical Posts in India (as per City)

  • Mumbai, Maharashtra
  • Kolkata, West Bengal
  • Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
  • Davanagere, Karnataka
  • Pune, Maharashtra
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • West Bengal
  • Punjab
  • Karnataka
  • Uttar Pradesh
  • Orissa

Career Prospects for Bank Clerks

There is ample growth in a career as a bank clerk, as the Indian economy is growing at the rate of 9% per annum. According to the experts, India would surface as the third largest banking hub on earth by the year 2040. Within the seven growing market economies (E7), which include India, Russia, Indonesia, Mexico, China, Turkey, and Brazil, India is going to rank first. This is mainly due to several factors like younger population, low and slow penetration of banking sectors in the nation, and upswing in the country’s economy. Indian banking sector is showing an exponential growth. So, a career as a bank clerk is quite promising for the youths of today.

Academic Certifications required for a profession as a Bank Clerk

For employment as a bank clerk, the minimum academic qualification required is completion of higher secondary (10+2) with 65% in aggregate. For candidates belonging to reserved categories, the minimum required percentage is 60. However, the percentage for eligibility may vary from public sector to private and foreign banks. The candidates need to be between 18 years and 28 years of age. Eligible candidates need to qualify in the banking examination, followed by a personal interview. The banking examination (written) consists of the following-

  • Test of Numerical Ability
  • Test of English Language
  • Test of Reasoning
  • Test of General Awareness (with a special reference to the banking industry)