As far as profession is concerned, doctors, not only in India, but also across the world form the top of the career pyramid. Doctors’ salary in India is regulated and revised at regular intervals by the Medical Council of India.
The salary structure for a graduate or postgraduate doctor varies from one organization to another. A doctor working in a government hospital earns less than the one working in a corporate hospital. However, in spite of the wide inequity of doctors’ salary in different organizations, some of the common health benefits offered by the government of India are –
- Medical benefits (61%)
- Dental benefits (12%)
- Vision benefits (12%)
- Other benefits (39%)
Pay Scale for Doctors in Top Medical Institutes in India
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)|
|Assistant Professor||INR 15,600 – 39,100 + NPA, subject to a minimum salary of INR 30,000 along with academic grade salary of INR 8,000|
|Senior Resident (on Adhoc basis)||INR 18,750 + INR 6,600 (GP) plus other allowances|
|Banaras Hindu University (BHU)|
|Junior Research Fellow – J.R.F.||INR 16,000 + H.R.A. (as per university norms)|
|Project Fellow (under UGC funded project), Department of Gastroenterology||INR 8,000 per month|
|National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore|
|Research Officer||INR 20,000 per month (consolidated)|
|TATA Memorial Hospital, Mumbai|
|Orthotist & Prosthetics||INR 25,000 per month|
Junior Resident (Non Academic) in the following specialties:
||INR 15,600 + INR 5,400 (GP) + other allowances including NPA|
Some other top public sectors recruiting doctors are
|ONGC (Oil and Natural Gas Commission)|
|Doctor (Field Medics)||
INR 35,000 per month
|Coal India Limited|
Medical Specialist in the following fields –
|INR 24,900 – 50,500 per month|
|General Duty Medical Officer (Specialist)||INR 20,600 – 46,500 per month|
Highest Salaries offered to Doctors in India (as per City)
- Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- New Delhi
- Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Bangalore, Karnataka
- Kolkata, West Bengal
Highest Salaries offered to Doctors in India (as per State)
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Specialists on contractual basis for Andaman and Nicobar Islands are getting a starting salary of INR 55,000 per month.
- Pediatricians in Madhya Pradesh are getting a starting salary of INR 35,000 per month.
- The Kerala and Assam governments are paying 50% more salary to doctors for running OPDs in public healthcare centers.
- As per the government of India, 76% of the special allowance for doctors will be merged with the basic pay.
- Doctors, who will be working in casualties of district, taluk, and general hospitals, will be getting special allowance of INR 2,000 per month.
- In order to eliminate difference in pay scale between a government health department and ESI hospital, the salary for an MBBS in ESI hospital has been increased to INR 21,000 per month from INR 18,000. Salary for a post graduate (MD) has been increased from INR 18,000 monthly to INR 29,000 per month.
Career Prospects for Doctors
Doctors in India and abroad have lucrative career opportunities. Medical practitioners are in huge demand in countries like Australia, Middle East, US and UK. An average salary range for freshers after completion of MBBS degree and internship is INR 10,000 to INR 20,000. In private hospitals, junior doctors can earn a monthly salary of INR 25,000. However, the salary increases with specialization (post graduation and above) degree, individual skills and work experience. Doctors also earn a lucrative amount through private practice in different nursing homes, clinics, and hospitals. Contractual doctors get a salary ranging from INR 12,000 to INR 30,000, as per their academic qualification and work experience. The Health Ministry of India is also offering a salary hike of 25% (for difficult areas) to 50% (for areas unreachable by road) for those, who are serving in rural sectors.
- The difficult areas are designated as – Naxal-affected districts of Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar, and Madhya Pradesh.
- Unreachable areas are – remote places in the North-East, the Thar Desert extension of Rajasthan, interior regions of Jammu and Kashmir, Lakshadweep and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Academic Certifications required for a profession as a Doctor
For pursuing a career in medical science, one needs to complete higher secondary with physics, chemistry and biology. Eligible candidates need to qualify in medical entrance examination, conducted by state governments, central government, and individual private institutes. After completion of MBBS / BDS degree and internship period, one can apply as a junior or fresher in any healthcare institute. For getting employment as junior consultant in private and reputed institutes, individuals need to have specialization degree/diploma (post graduate) in the respective field.
Last Updated: 14/10/2013