What’s the salary to expect in India after completing MS from US?
If you have made up your mind to settle for a job in India after getting hold of your MS degree from the US, there are a few things which you should consider before doing so.
- Is your international degree going to put you in good stead thereby boosting your chances of earning better salaries in India?
- Is the job at hand going to prove to be a decent ROI (Return of Investment) for you, considering the kind of money you spent on your education in a foreign country?
- These are important questions and are going to shape your future in a major way. The article is aimed at providing sufficiently relevant information about your career prospects in India after an MS from the US among other things.
How much can you earn in India after doing an MS in CS from a fairly popular US university?
With a two or three years experience and a current salary of around 60,000 $ per year you are eligible to draw a salary of around INR 10 lakh- INR 15 lakh per annum ( equivalent of 20,000- 30,000 US dollars) here. Here is more on them:
CS Professionals with a Master of Science degree salaries in India:
|Job||Average Salary (per annum)|
|Senior Software Engineer||INR 3 lakh to INR 11 lakh|
|Software Developer||INR 2 lakh to INR 6 lakh|
|Lead Software Development Engineer (SDE)||INR 5.5 lakh to INR 34 lakh|
|Sr. Software Engineer / Developer / Programmer||INR 4.2 lakh to INR 19 lakh|
|Project Manager, Information Technology (IT)||INR 6.2 lakh to INR 34 lakh|
|Software Engineer||INR 2 lakh to INR 14 lakh|
|Project Manager, Software Development||INR 4.1 lakh to INR 42 lakh|
Master of Science, Software Engineering- Salaries in India
|Module Lead||INR 5.5 lakh to INR 9.5 lakh|
|Software Engineer||INR 5 lakh to INR 9.3 lakh|
|Senior Software Engineer||INR 4.6 lakh to INR 12 lakh|
|Project Leader, IT||INR 6.1 lakh to INR 9.8 lakh|
|Project Manager (Information Technology)||INR 7.2 lakh to INR 15 lakh|
|Sr. Software Engineer / Developer / Programmer||INR 4.2 lakh to INR 10 lakh|
|Senior Project Manager, IT||INR 7 lakh to INR 20 lakh|
The aforementioned lists of salaries are just a little glimpse of what a prospective employee with an MS degree in either CS or software engineering can earn. But the question remains are you going to earn more as you have an international degree to you credit? The answer lies below:
Most of the times employers in India will agree to pay more only if the concerned candidate masters the art of negotiation. He can really take his chances by pushing the envelope a bit further. The value of international career/education is unquestionably given importance when coupled with employee efficiency (good communication skills, ability to advertise skills properly, and excellent professional achievements etc). However, if that is not the case most of the recruiters are not willing to shell out better salaries for candidates only with an international degree to boot, therefore chances are less that your investments in your education will be compensated the way you desire. Most of the times you will be perceived just as another fresher from the country itself!
Before a conclusion is drawn it will be useful to know why it is difficult to earn more salaries in India only by virtue of having an international degree to your credit:
- Foreign degrees are very slowly losing their luster owing to a large number of students from India getting them every year
- The employers here give more importance to industry specific skills rather than a foreign degree