Purposes of Training Evaluation
The five main purposes of training evaluation are:
Feedback: It helps in giving feedback to the candidates by defining the objectives and linking it to learning outcomes.
Research: It helps in ascertaining the relationship between acquired knowledge, transfer of knowledge at the work place, and training.
Control: It helps in controlling the training program because if the training is not effective, then it can be dealt with accordingly.
Power games: At times, the top management (higher authoritative employee) uses the evaluative data to manipulate it for their own benefits.
Intervention: It helps in determining that whether the actual outcomes are aligned with the expected outcomes.
Process of Training Evaluation
Before Training: The learner's skills and knowledge are assessed before the training program. During the start of training, candidates generally perceive it as a waste of resources because at most of the times candidates are unaware of the objectives and learning outcomes of the program. Once aware, they are asked to give their opinions on the methods used and whether those methods confirm to the candidates preferences and learning style.
During Training: It is the phase at which instruction is started. This phase usually consist of short tests at regular intervals
After Training: It is the phase when learners skills and knowledge are assessed again to measure the effectiveness of the training. This phase is designed to determine whether training has had the desired effect at individual department and organizational levels. There are various evaluation techniques for this phase.
Techniques of Evaluation
The various methods of training evaluation are:
- Self diaries
- Self recording of specific incidents
- Training and Development system in Retail/FMCG sector
- Training and Development system in Banking/Insurance Sector
- Training and Development System in Automobile Sector
- Training and Development system in Telecom sector
- Training and Development system in KPO
- Training and Development system in Pharmaceutical sector
- Training and Development system in Hospitality sector
- Training and Development system in IT Sector
- Training and Development System in BPO
Last Updated: 06/05/2015